This project generated guidance and tools to allow aircraft electronic suppliers to efficiently incorporate the requirements of RTCA’s DO254, “Design Assurance Guidance for Airborne Electronic Hardware” into their electronic hardware design process.
It was a cooperative effort that alleviated participating members’ having to each independently develop DO-254 guidelines.
Researchers developed templates and examples of the key documents/artifacts required by DO254 including
- A hardware configuration management plan.
- A hardware process assurance plan.
- A hardware accomplishment summary.
- A template for hardware problem reports
- A procedure for tool assessment
- Qualification activities for hardware design tools
Results of the program were presented to certification authorities to ensure consistency with their interpretation of the requirements, and to provide the credibility of a consensus position.