This project investigated the feasibility of applying micro electro-optical (MEO) technology to commercial and military aircraft, including large transport and business jet types. It was the first comprehensive effort to study the application of this technology to large commercial and military aircraft.
The very small size and low weight of MEO sensors allows for widespread installation on aircraft. Potential applications include
- Bay monitoring
- Remote periodic inspection
- Low observables seal preservation
To complete the investigation, researchers
- Determined MEO critical design characteristics and constraints.
- Used the critical MEO design characteristics to identify and evaluate potential commercial and military aircraft applications.
- Determined the feasibility of alternate strategies for MEO sensor connectivity (i.e. hardwire, wireless network)
- Identified and evaluated image processing and distribution techniques appropriate to arrays of MEO sensors.