This project examined whether new data bus technology should be developed to replace the ARINC 629 data bus for application to commercial aircraft.
The study identified existing and emerging requirements for data communications onboard a commercial transport aircraft, along with operational and installation requirements to meet the safety, reliability and other factors of the onboard environment.
To complete the study, researchers
- Determined the aircraft data communications system requirements to satisfy information exchange requirements
- Developed and documented the installation, certification, and other aircraft specific requirements that an aircraft data communications system must meet
- Developed a requirement weighting system for evaluating available bus technologies
- Identified and recommended commercial technologies that are best suited to meet the aircraft data communications system requirements
- Evaluated the costs/effort to adapt the recommended technologies to the commercial aircraft environment